Monday, September 10, 2012

What are you reflecting?


So as a sassfabulous girl who is trapped in scrubs on the weekdays when I actually go out on the weekends I like to dress up. Whether I am catching a movie, going to dinner, or hitting up the dance floor with my girls I like to kick my fashion up a notch. Now like I stated previously I wear scrubs to work so this isn't a big challenge! I like to think of myself as a princess and have the tiara tattoo to prove it.

Every since I was a little girl I have liked to play dress up. Probably because since the age of four I was involved in dance class. Costumes became my after school clothes. Once my mother allowed me to pack my own suitcase to visit my granny and promptly after being dropped off my mother received a call from my granny to please bring me some real clothes the next day because I had only packed costumes! As time has gone on my style has evolved from that little girl in dance costumes to a woman who is laid back casual to all out glam. My love of the sparkly has never faltered. One area that I really have only a small amount of knowledge is make-up. Looking at all those colors and brushes almost sends me into a mild anxiety attack.



Fortunately I have been blessed with friends to guide me along the way but my favorite ally is the instruction cards that come in the make-up kits. Even though it takes a few tries before I can get it just right, the cards are there to guide and teach me how to apply my lovely new products. So the other day when I was following my instructions I had a little God thought. I love it when He speaks to me through everyday things in my life. Wouldn't it be great to break out instruction cards every time something happened to me. Step by step instructions on exactly how to handle life. Navigating each curve that comes our way and knowing exactly which materials and tools are necessary to get the job done.  Well unfortunately there isn't a step by step instruction card but we do have the Bible to help us navigate through life. The Bible is full of information for every occasion: how to treat others, deal with anger or disappointment, having faith through the tough times, rejoicing with each other and many more. Just like the cards instruct me on how to apply make-up correctly the Bible can be applied to any situation that I face in life.

One of the greatest things that I like to do before going out on the town is turning on some music and all the girls getting ready together. Asking each other's advice on what eye shadow goes with this dress, how to wear our hair, or do you have earrings that I can borrow? God created us for fellowship to help encourage and support each other through life. For those circumstances where we are unclear on the instructions and we need to listen to advice from others. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 says "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." Often times we are in the habit of tearing each other and ourselves down and this is not what God calls us to do.  Think of all the effort that we put into our appearance: washing our faces, day time moisturizer, night time moisturizer, eye brow maintenance, styling our hair....the list goes on and on. What would we look like if we put half the effort that we do into what we look like on the outside, to what we look like on the inside. We are called to reflect God's love, grace and mercy. What steps are we taking to make sure that our spiritual reflection is something that others want to look at and admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment