Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Commissioned as a hope mentor!


Last week I was finally commissioned as a hope mentor through my church. The process involved a lengthy application and interview. It took me half a day to fill out the application. Beyond wanting to know how I grew up and things that I have deal with in my life they asked your views on certain subjects. Not only your views but they wanted you to provide scripture to back up your beliefs. Well I know what I believe but I am not always certain of where to locate that in the Bible so thankfully I have an awesome book..."Find it Fast in the Bible" :) During the interview I was nervous but of course trying to appear oh so confident. At one point I picked up my glass of water and all my nervous energy was challenged into my left hand and the glass was shaking all the way to my mouth, needless to say no more water for the remainder of the interview! First round passed and now on to 10 weeks worth of training.

I learned so much on how to be a better mentor through this program. I also learned so much more about myself and my own issues. Throughout our lives we are shaped by our environment and much of what shapes us happens in our childhoods. Through this training I have been able to take down a few bricks of the wall that I have built over the years. We all develop certain beliefs that are false. Some examples of these are I must prove that I am right to know I am of worth, I must control my circumstances to be secure, emotions always represent truth, I do not measure up, I am inadequate, or others are to blame how I feel. Once we recognize our own false beliefs they must be replaced with God's truth. I can do all things through Christ, my value and worth are found in Christ, God has made me and accepted me, and I am chosen, righteous, holy, a saint: a new creation are just some of God's loving truths.  I find that when I let my false beliefs take over I have to repeat God's truth like a mantra. Take a few deep breaths and realize where my identity, worth, and help come from.

This week I met with my first care receiver (this is the person wanting to be mentored) and it was awesome! I truly felt God's spirit there guiding the conversation and I can't wait to be a part of her journey. Leaving our first meeting I was affirmed once again by God that this is what He wants from me. Everything that I have experienced over the past ten years has lead me to this place. To experience a moment of clarity where you realize that this is something that God actually created you for is beyond words. We are all new creations when we accept Christ into our lives and have a purpose. What a privilege to partner with God in changing peoples lives. God is in the business of changing people not me. It is only through His guidance and support that I am able to serve in this role.

No comments:

Post a Comment